Straightforward to grow. Bumper crop guaranteed.
- Easiest if bought as a young plant in early summer
- Simple to grow in a pot or in the garden.
- One plant will easily feed one person. Two plants is just greedy!
Complete growing directions
- Buy a young plant. They’re generous plants and one will be easily enough to feed one person.
- Hint: make sure the frosts are over in your area before planting as frost kills young courgette plants.
- Plant them directly into the soil about 3 feet apart in the garden. Water and wait!
- The easiest way to tell if something needs watering is with your finger: poke it into the soil to test.
- If the soil is damp just under the surface, don't water. If it is dry up to the first crease of your finger then you need to water.
- Seeds and seedlings need care when watering – use a fine-head watering can so you don't over-water them.
- It is better to water well infrequently than to sprinkle a little every day.
Check out Compost Made Simple for all your composting needs and know-how.
All about Courgette
- Plant: Late May–June
- Harvest: Late July–October
- Container: The ground
- Location: Garden
- What to sow: Plant